View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 GLC_lib on OpenGL/ES 3 

Post GLC_lib on OpenGL/ES 3
Hello,

I am considering porting GLC_lib to OpenGL/ES. I am not (yet) an OpenGL expert, but after having done some reading on the subject and looking into the GLC source code, the following questions have arisen:

1. it seems GLC's core functionality is based on the now deprecated OpenGL fixed pipeline API. Can you confirm?

2. there are vertex and fragment shader files, but it seems that if they are used at all, it is only for some limited purpose. Can you confirm? What exact role do the shaders play?

3. My strategy for porting to GLES would be to target GLES 3.0, hoping that since GELS3 is a clean subset of GL, all functionality can be covered that way, and I can mostly do without #ifdef #else blocks. Realistic?

4. since GLES3 has completely removed the fixed function pipeline API, that would mean basing everything off shaders. Do you think the existing shaders can be used for that purpose?

I hope someone finds time to answer these questions. I would also appreciate any additional explanations/hints

thanks,
Christian

Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 am
Site Admin

Post Re: GLC_lib on OpenGL/ES 3
Hello
csell wrote:
1. it seems GLC's core functionality is based on the now deprecated OpenGL fixed pipeline API. Can you confirm?

Yes it's true
csell wrote:
2. there are vertex and fragment shader files, but it seems that if they are used at all, it is only for some limited purpose. Can you confirm? What exact role do the shaders play?

Yes, these shader are not used yet. They are there because I'm starting to implement not fixed pipeline.
csell wrote:
3. My strategy for porting to GLES would be to target GLES 3.0, hoping that since GELS3 is a clean subset of GL, all functionality can be covered that way, and I can mostly do without #ifdef #else blocks. Realistic?

I think that GLES 2.0 Is much used and the opengl 2 support is mandatory.
csell wrote:
4. since GLES3 has completely removed the fixed function pipeline API, that would mean basing everything off shaders. Do you think the existing shaders can be used for that purpose?

No, existing shader are not finished and not complete.

Currently I have neither the time nor the need to implement GLES support. Perhaps I will do that later.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]